Experienced with professional writing including website content, blog posts, SEO articles, and marketing collateral:
- For Iversoft Solutions and Vinyl 21 Communications I provided website analysis with suggestions on how to improve the layout and content of the websites. In addition I wrote the website content for these companies.
- For private marketing clients, I write a range of articles focusing on specific SEO terms and a range of topics.
- For the Disaster Recovery Journal and xMatters Inc., I write professional blog posts on industry-specific themes.
- Written product reviews, product comparison charts and book reviews for a range of private clients.
- Created and wrote marketing collateral including product specification sheets, email newsletters and website copy for KingsBridge Disaster Recovery.
Social Media expertise managing Twitter and Facebook accounts for private clients:
- Created websites,Twitter and Facebook accounts for a range of companies, managing and creating a community of followers.
Experienced writing installation, administration, configuration, and user guides for a wide range of technology:
- Developed online help system for new cloud-based software solution.
- Documented UML modeling software operating with Eclipse and IBM Rational Software Modeler.
- Documented enterprise software operating on IBM WebSphere Application Server, BEA WebLogic Application Server and JBoss application servers.
- Documented resource management server software, RADIUS software, and policy management software.
- Experienced documenting configuration files, Oracle database installation and management, and UNIX commands.
- Documented the Corel Computer NetWinder product line (a virtual network computer running on Linux)
Experienced writing administrator and user level help using a variety of delivery methods:
Hands on technical writer comfortable installing and testing software:
- Participated in regression testing of Signiant Media Shuttle, verifying acceptance test plans and design specifications.
- Installed and tested Zeligsoft CX running with IBM Rational Software Modeler operating on virtual machines running on Windows and Linux.
- Installed and tested the Adobe LiveCycle suite of software on virtual machines running on Windows, UNIX, and Linux.
- Verified contents of configuration files, error logs, and tested UNIX commands to ensure documentation accuracy.
- Verified graphical user interfaces to document the user experience.
Experienced planning and managing documentation deliverables:
- Worked in a team setting to redesign an existing documentation set in response to feedback from customer support.
- Comfortable meeting with subject matter experts to determine the feature set and documentation requirements.
- Worked individually developing documentation plans and then revising based on technical and editorial feedback.
Experienced with web site design and development:
- Developed a knowledge network website for Signiant Media Shuttle that includes a third-party feedback mechanism and online help.
- Worked with web and graphics teams to develop intranet and corporate web sites.
Experienced with documenting project design and business analysis tasks.
- Worked with team members and subject matter experts at Signiant, Adobe and Bridgewater Systems to determine and document new features and software protocols.
- As a lead technical writer I worked with quality assurance and developers to create test cases and determine the effectiveness of proposed new software features at both Bridgewater Systems and Zeligsoft.
- Reviewed feature requirements and provided my feedback both verbally and written to team members to help determine the scope of the product and associated feature set.
- Comfortable helping to determine and document how to migrate and plan for upgrades and new software implementations.
Experienced managing the delivery of documentation:
- Created a knowledge network website for Signiant Media Shuttle that provides end-users with instant feedback and online help resources.
- Created a searchable DVD of the Bridgewater Systems documentation suite – including PDFs and online help.
- Managed the verification and publication of the soft and print versions of customer documentation.
Experienced developing and delivering product training material to a technical audience.
- Adobe software: FrameMaker, GoLive, Illustrator, Acrobat, RoboHelp, DreamWeaver
- Microsoft software: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio
- Online help software: MadCap Flare,Quadralay WebWorks, Microsoft HTML Help, Eclipse help plug-in development and JavaHelp
- Image conversion software: PaintShop Pro, Snagit and Debabelizer Pro
- Web site development software: HTMLKit, Dreamweaver, WordPress and TypePad
- Familiar with multiple platforms: Windows, Macintosh, UNIX, and Linux
- Basic database administration skills
- Source control software: Perforce, SVN and SourceSafe
- Application servers: IBM WebSphere Application Server, BEA WebLogic Application Server, and JBoss application server
- UML Modeling software: IBM Rational Software Modeler
- Social Media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn
- Signiant, April 2012 - present
- Freelance Professional Writer, October 2009 - April 2012
- RCMP, April 2009 - October 2009
- Zeligsoft Inc., July 2007 – February 2009
- Adobe Systems, March 2005 – April 2007
- Bridgewater Systems, Sept. 1998 – March 2005
- Corel Computer Corp., July 1997 – Sept. 1998
- Tierra Communications, Aug. 1996 – July 1997
FREELANCE WRITER WORK EXPERIENCE
- Canadian Cycling Magazine: freelance writer and web site news manager
- Cyclocross Magazine: online and print columnist
- Pedal Magazine: online contributor
- TeamWork Press: freelance writer
- Private corporate clients: blog posts, press releases, website content
- Private corporate clients: product reviews, price comparison charts, book reviews
- Private corporate clients: SEO and keyword focused articles
- Private corporate clients: iTunes app store descriptions, Twitter and Facebook posts
Bachelor of Journalism, Carleton University, April 1994
Member of the Canadian National Cyclo-Cross Team (2010)
Canadian Spokesperson for the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of Canada